Exhibition of Glass and Crystal
The museum is in Boschi Area (in the lower part of the city), a renewed area where one of the furnaces of the Cristalleria and Vetreria Schmidt or former Vetreria Boschi (1800) was located.
“The museum is currently undergoing renovation and a large part of the collection has been set up inside the Palazzo dei Priori (13th-14th century) in Via del Castello 33 in the historic center”.
The itinerary reconstructs the history of the local glass industry from the beginning of the 19th century through to the creation of 24% lead crystal up to today with the creation of contemporary works of art.
A large section was dedicated to design products born from collaborations between local companies, famous designers and crystal engraving, an art handed down by generations of families from Colle.
Some of the main works present:
- The monstrance; one of the most prestigious pieces of the exhibition. This is the authentic copy of the monstrance donated to the Pope John Paul II on the occasion of his visit to Colle at the CALP glass factory (1996).
- The tallest handmade crystal glass in the world.
- The handmade crystal helmet dedicated to Valentino Rossi Italian champion cc 125 (1995).
- The glass of the author “Cibi”, held in the hand by the famous actor Harrison Ford in “Blade Runner”.
- The cups of champions as Alberto Tomba and Manuela Di Centa.
- The horse’s head, symbol of the Municipality of Colle di Val d’Elsa.
Colle di Val d’Elsa is still called the City of Crystal today, producing 95% of Italian crystal and almost 15% of the world.
Museo del Cristallo
Palazzo dei Priori – Via del Castello 33
53034 Colle di Val d’Elsa (Siena) Italy
Tel. +39 0577 924135