One of the most evocative places in Colle di Val d’Elsa is the streets that leads to Palazzo Campana, built between 1539 and 1550. An example of 16th-century Tuscan Mannerist architecture, takes its name from Francesco Campana, a politician native of Colle who, having moved to Florence, became councilor of the Medici. At the very peak of his career, he wanted to build this building in the city where he was born. He gave the project to the Florentine architect Giuliano di Baccio d’Agnolo.
The two-storey façade faces west and is characterized by a grandiose Renaissance ashlar arch in the main street of the historic center (via del Castello). At sunset the complex, being partly in sandstone and partly in plaster, takes on particularly beautiful shades.
The importance of the building lies not only in the architectural structure but also in the scenic position it occupies in the historical part of town, as the building stands at the connection point between the Borgo di Santa Caterina and the Castle.