Crypt of Mercy (Misercordia)
The Oratory of Jesus, Joseph and Mary of the ‘Compagnia della Morte’, commonly known as the Crypt of Mercy (Misercordia) (17th century) has an external entrance to the right of the Colle di Val d’Elsa cathedral (Dome).
Following the construction of the Dome of Colle in 1592, some rooms were built on the ground below previously occupied by a cemetery. The Baroque-style premises were granted by Bishop Giovanni Battista Buonaccorsi to the Compagnia della Morte, which later became the ‘Venerabile Confraternita di Misericordia di Colle‘ and remained so for over 270 years.
The crypt is completely frescoed and the high altar was built in 1730 on Lorenzo Lepri’s commission. In the frescoes, one can see the iconography of death typical of the environments of the ‘Compagnie della Morte’, both from a religious and social point of view. The frescoes in the three bays depict the Infermo the Purgatory and the Paradise.