Co-Cathedral of Saints Alberto and Marziale or Dome of Colle
The Co-Cathedral of Saints Alberto and Marziale or Dome of Colle is located in the ‘Castle’, the oldest part of Colle’s historical centre. Built on the pre-existing church of San Salvatore, the present building, begun in 1603 and completed in the 19th century, is in Tuscan Baroque and Neoclassical style.
The first records of the chapel of San Salvatore da Colle (S. Salvatoris de Colle veteri) date back to the 12th century. Documents from 1188 to 1191 name Alberto da Chiatina Archpriest pro plebe S. Salvatoris de Colle, et S. Johannis et Faustini de Elsa.
In 1592, it was erected as a cathedral, thus needing adaptations. In 1602, it was decided to demolish the old parish church and replace it with a new building suited to its new status as an episcopal cathedral church. The first bishop of the new diocese was Usimbardo Usimbardi from Colle, who entrusted the architect Fausto Rughesi from Montepulciano with the project to build the new cathedral.
His successor, bishop Cosimo della Gherardesca, completed the furnishing of the new cathedral and entrusted the rebuilding of the façade to the Sienese architect Agostino Fantastici. This remained unfinished for a long time and was completed in 1833.
The interior of Colle’s Cathedral has a cross-shaped ground plan with three naves. In addition to the numerous religious art works, the Chapel of the Holy Nail located in the right transept is noteworthy. The Chapel closed by a 17th-century wrought-iron gate preserves in the tabernacle one of the nails used for the crucifixion of Christ. In the nave on the right hand side is the marble pulpit with bas-reliefs from the 14th century.
On the right wall of the chancel is a pipe organ built by Onofrio da Cortona in 1555 and restored in 1780.